Friday 25 February 2011

Hairdressing passion, vocation, challenge.

Welcome to BACK2MYROOTS B2MR:
Regular postings of fresh new topic's        http://www.back2myroots.co.uk/


It is my goal to establish a platform to share the creativity, knowledge, and technical Skills:
I have had the good fortune to experience so many aspects of the hair industry with both fellow stylists and so many wonderful clients many who over the years have become good friends

 
Let me tell you a little about my professional background.



I began my training as a teenager doing my apprenticeship in London Mayfair working in a very busy, high profile salon while continuing to expand my training with other top London salons.

I moved to London's Chelsea - Kensington area to manage a salon, becoming a director and shareholder there before moving on to own and run my own salon in London Clapham district.
In the late 80's I made the move to Canada, starting off on in Ontario and ending up on the West Coast in Vancouver. After many years great years there we made decision to fly back across the pond to resettle here in the UK.
My introduction to the hairdressing world in Vancouver on the Canadian west coast was after a meeting with Mr Jon paul Holt owner of internationally acclaimed Avantgarde Artistic Center  in the down town area of Yaletown after this meeting i was fortunate to be offered a job this was the start of a very special life long friendship.
Whilst working the the salon i became more and more involved in  Avant garde hair salon on photo shoots and hair shows.
Whilst at Avantgarde we did hair shows such as the Alternative Hair Show at the Royal Albert Hall in London, Fashion Cares in Vancouver put on as a fund raiser for aids research by Mac Make up Salon International a main show event for the Canadian hair industry as well as participating in all the national trade shows throughout Canada.
I developed an interest in this area of the industry and got more and more  involved in competitive work. Within my first year I was a runner up in the L' Oreal colour competition for British Columbia.


A pivotal point thus far in my career came when I decided to focus
my career on education and stage work in addition to continuing my hairdressing business specializing in corrective colour work,
I became the West Coast Education Consultant and a Platform Artist for L’anza Canada,  based on Vancouver island working throughout Canada and on occasion in the USA on photo shoots and shows, putting together collections for upcoming seasons and training and working with a team of advanced talented stylists.

I continue to challenge myself and learn more I also became involved in the teaching side of hairstyling and have been teaching in salons and professional hairdressing colleges for the past few years.  


My passion for the industry remains strong and I have continued my work as a professional hairdresser to keep my skills up-to-date and learn about this ever changing craft. I began this venture to inspire clients as well as new and existing stylists with the view to sharing my knowledge and creativity with others and raising the standard of hairdressing and training and finding like minded stylists to work.

I am also very interested in hair colour how and why it works, as i research more and more i discover so much about the how the why but also the way that companies represent there products as being safe natural herbal it truly is quite remarkable, I think its key that we all strive to understand both the product how they work what they do trusting trusting the sales rep is not enough ask questions seek out informative education material strive to become an expert.
whilst Blogging and responding to articles and reviews it amazes me how many stylist recommend products make bold statements with out the slightest knowledge of the chemistry. trusting in what they have been told to this ends my real interest is in the science of all these natural product these herbal organic hair colours, i have yet to find one that does not have a chemical disguised in it's formula.
Some of the Major hair colour companies are very good at hiding facts or projecting the image they want us to project and sell to our clients.
Ammonia free all Natural, Organic, Herbal do you really know how they work ? would you like to know.
Henna and natural stains and colour how good are they really what are the down falls?

I write my Blog but hope it will open the door to some new exciting avenue of knowledge and sharing.
I can work with small groups /salons or individual stylist on any skills and ways to improve business and client retention you can contact me via my web site.
Mike

http://www.back2myroots.co.uk/  all hair done whilst on the Avantgarde artistic team thanks Jp

No comments: