Tuesday 19 July 2011

Hairdressing Transferable skills and certification.

Back2myroots : A place to share thoughts and grow idea's. B2MR


This is a topic that was brought to my attention by a fellow professional but one that I have personally been impacted by.

I hoping that others will share views thoughts and share experience of the topic.

Transferable skills and certification:
The question that raised this issue as one to write about was.
I just moved to New York and have had an Illinois license
for 30 years. I went on The NY website and IL was not on the list of
reciprocal states. I am surprised to say the least, and am worried I will have
to pay for beauty school, on top of going to State Boards again.
It has been A VERY LONG time since I have taken that test ( 1978 to be exact!) 
Do you know anything about getting grandfathered in? 


I have been effected by this on more than one occasion. Having moved from London to Ontario Canada. Then out west To British Columbia.Canada. 


I have been qualified for many years I also have certification for advanced courses in Colouring and  Cutting. But my experience is how ever long you have worked . Each country and indeed in the case of Canada with it's provincial system the rules and requirements differ standards are claimed to be different  and yet my experience was they are no different it's all about registration legislation and Money!
The same applies in the United States rules and regulations differ from state to state.




Maybe as professional there should be an international body  that can be joined this would store all  records of training and qualification that would be internationally accepted.
It is wrong that some one who has successfully trained maybe owned a salon is suddenly asked to re-train with young students.
In my case I was a platform artist and educator for an international company part of an international artistic team. had represented canada on stage.owned and managed salons in London. Asked in-fact told i had to re sit the full training exam for BC Canada.
After much discussion and deliberation a compromise was reached and a life time certificate issued. Since then the governing body was disbanded due to funding issue and then revived some years later.So it's political and finance based.


So the question is. Should certification and qualification be industry governed and controlled. With fixed agreed standards agreed s o that both inter state province or international moving is much easier. No one would object to a fee for the administration of this. But come on a re take every time one moves is crazy.


Has this effected you ? what are your thoughts? 


To any one dealing with this i say get a name of someone to deal with and communicate with provide  full proof of training and qualification.experience but stand your ground be respectful have some humility. But remember you are a full true professional.
Mike B2MR


   

No comments: