Monday 3 October 2011

Wedding day hair a real story.

Welcome to BACK2MYROOTS B2MR: regular postings of fresh new topic's

A place to share thoughts post comments and idea's on matters relating to hair colouring skill and techniques and anything industry related. Created as a source of advise education knowledge skill experience
preparing hair planning Up-do
As I played with my daughter's hair whilst trying to find that perfect look for her trying to make her have an elegant sophistication I was drawn to the reminder of the very fact that this for a young women is that child hood dream her dream come true. Hair. Makeup .Beautiful Dress. That happy ever after.
I was also and have been as a Dad. For some time been reflecting on the passing of time how quickly we went to baby bouncer to this. As of now it's official my little girl is married and all grown up!

Any way I digress but well worth a ponder and a mention.
Moving on we have to remember that peek wedding time for me was around 1978 to mid eighties, remember the hair wash leave perms! The Purdy cut. Blow dried hair  lots of volume. Lady Di look a likes. How topical this of all weeks with a Royal wedding in London. Congratulations to the couple.
Starting to build a shape

One big wedding I attended comes to mind clients name changed ! This particular wedding was a big event months and months of planning and hair growing.
But a true story all events happened: 
The plan here for Lucy was an up do very elegant  it had to show off the family tiara a very Breakfast at Tiffany Audrey Hepburn look. Any way i arrived at this country house/mansion  huge iron gates, gravel drive way oh my good it was a true family estate peacocks running around the chapel was it the grounds,
Parking area allocated, Helicopter paid marked out. Marquee the size of a big top right down to wooden floor laid down and me still not fully comfortable with weddings all the fuss pomp ceremony.
Although I has pretty much conquered the fear of the up do. I had replaced it with the resentment of the event the ceremony! Being on reflection a little discourteous and unprofessional.
I would usually arrive in a pair painters white bib brace work pants or an old aviator flight suit basic casual - work man!  oh they were very fashionable at the time .why did i act this way  I now wonder ! To carry this irreverence on I would have all my kit in a black plastic bag grab it from car arrive with it the slung casually over my shoulder. [quite dreadful] and really un-professional. I did thankfully eventually get over rebellion embrace and enjoy the privilege of being part of this special day. I did  get a camera case for my tools and dress smartly!! In some cases even attended the event with those very special client I would wave the fee as a wedding gift never expected and I loved doing it!
slowly work on the hair to create the look
 I would intentionally park in the wrong place. In this case walking towards this monster stately home gravel drive peacocks running around.  The huge  stone stairs up to the front no door bell! just about to pound on the door and it swings open! The butler! good morning may I help you. looking down his nose! or so i thought . yes say's I. I'm here to do Lucy's hair very well I will inform her you are here the trades man entrance is around the back, Is that your car he then says? yes kindly move it to the allocated car park!
Well now biting my cheek took a little breath and said firstly I am not a trades man I do not do back doors the car is parked so I can get away once done before the wedding starts! So please tell Lucy I am here if she wants her hair done! Again how rude of me! With that an up stairs window fly's open and loud voice shouts down my name followed by oh so glad your hear come on up would you like a glass of champers!
 In I go past the butler still looking a tad put out. Up this huge stair case in these time it was fashionable to slightly different artistic creative yet none conforming so I had a novelty value the plan was do the hair of the Bride I tried not to do the bridal party to many heads ! In this instance it was the Up-do but then i had to hang around until the formal part of the wedding was over and then cut all of her hair off one to shock her friends this was so much about out doing each other bigger and better you know leaving in a helicopter or hot air balloon!
It was also being cut off for the three week beach holiday have to admit she did look better with short hair.
Shape starts to form
The Up-do went quite smoothly fear had been dealt with many practice sessions so it became easy I looked like I was in control yes a big act! yes but key to keeping the bride relaxed as she trusts what I'm doing.

The hair is up. Make up on I get to help with the dress. I forgot to mention hairdressers get away with murder when it comes to dressing the bridal party the thinking being we are all gay. Half naked top less did not really matter I would help get into do up the dress do up buttons  arrange the train.
If a photo session was called for spread out dress for different shots take charge.
different look and shape
shape from texture form
This was as I have indicated a huge and formal wedding so photo's on the stairs in the main hall now with all the staff looking on yes butler too!!ha ha revenge was mine as he admired my work!

The chapel was in the grounds but i now find out a horse and carriage ride away the guest and the press are all there! Father. Dad. Lord of the manner giving her away nice chatty man but no way is he going to help her in or out of the Carriage with that dress I now have a new role help her into the carriage load very carefully the long silk train careful not to wrinkle it then load myself climb in on the floor! Oh yes the only way this works is if i have my head up the brides underskirt well.
How to get to know your client and bride ping her garter! The fathers asked if I am ok on the floor ? slightly nervously tells me how thankful he is for my assistance. Yes I assure him that I am fine it's not every day that I get to put my head up a brides skirt! He laughed this was going well,we had broken the ice.
Lucy giggles ! I asked  how do you think the groom would be if he knew I had my head up the dress of his soon to be wife! ha ha
Well once at the chapel the door is opened foot man opens the door ! The step folded down I appear from under the dress the press taking pictures help the bride down spread out the train the and formality of the this splendid event returns. But for a brief time in that carriage it was funny we were equal drawn to together by the event and the situation. She looked amazing. I was proud of the look Dad was very proud.This is what weddings are about Princess for the day.
finally a shape that works for me and the Bride.
The rest of the day went with out a hitch I hung around had a walk in the grounds I don't do weddings.I was always invited as a guest but hey I am doing a job and being paid very well paid so would not cross the line of business and pleasure maybe why I never dressed for the event!
The time came the dress came of the hair came down and I had 20 mins to cut all her hair off into a funky sort wash and go look hair flew all over the room nothing like audience to encourage you to through hair around we went from half way down her back to maybe 2inches in a very short space of time, again all done what a transformation she now puts on her going away suit all done. Just as she is leaving to rejoin the reception I get a big hug a kiss and many many thanks your amazing oh and send Daddy the bill won't you!!
I'm on my way another wedding another day another story The butler opened the door as I left with my plastic bag of tricks and the car is still out front! a good day.
With planning fear can be over come and for me with a bit more time embracing and enjoying the event the brides special day for it was not about me it is and was about the bride her day!
In my case now my daughters big day maybe this day was what it's all been for experience.
I have on a number of occasions become close friends of a bride and it would be fitting to give her as a wedding gift my time and service as my thank you for her support over the years, for me these gestures make what we do so worth while,  A long way from the hairdresser rebel!
Why today to post this article.Well it was this wedding day experience. This open welcoming family that opened my eye's to accept that it's the Brides day it's a Dad giving away his daughter be it a Lord or a normal working class person. Its the same My role is to be professional to think how much of an honor it is to be a small part of this day. It was this day the boundaries of class distinction and stigma came down for me.
It was the day I started to enjoy embrace and attend the Weddings of my clients when invited.
I became a better and more professional hairdresser and person.
In closing we as stylist have to remember that we offer a service it's our skill and creative talent that we are relying on. But we must remember that humility and understanding the magnitude of the day will keep us grounded and sympathetic to the Brides and her families needs in what can be a very emotionally charged day.

Again Congratulations to the Royal couple
I have very much enjoyed re living this day and sharing it with you.
Mike B2MR
                                                http://www.back2myroots.co.uk/

No comments: